Re: desktop height?

From: Bruce Ingalls
Subject: Re: desktop height?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 18:32:09 GMT

Phillip Lord wrote:
"Bruce" == Bruce Ingalls <bingalls.NO_SPAM@fit-zones.com> writes:

  Bruce> Does anyone know a way to calculate the height of the desktop
  Bruce> in elisp?
I used to probe the display to get what is effectively a maximised
emacs, on start up. I stopped doing this because probing in this way
misses things like the Gnome toolbar (which I still want to be
visible). In recent years I've just gone onto setting it by hand.

Send me your code!
I already use `ps` to check for gnome-panel, kicker, and others.
I'm not sure how to detect a menu at the top of Sawfish, but this has a
manual override.

I'm using this for the EMacro project, where the point of its ease of use, is to
make the computer do the work, instead of you.

The Unux philosophy is that you have to spend hours customzing, which makes
bosses nervous, because you've started the project, and they don't see you getting
any work done yet.

Another philosophy sets you up, and gets you going. Just don't change the settings
from the way they do business in Redmond.

The EMacro philosophy is to use those smart, easy wizards to set you up, then gets
out of the way, to tweak like a Unix hack, should that be necessary.

Hey 5.0 * 10^0 EMacro fans must be onto something!

Here's some X Window code, which works well, but doesn't help Mac nor w32:

(/ (- (x-display-pixel-height) 50) (frame-char-height))