Re: Emacs 21.2, smtpmail and vm

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Emacs 21.2, smtpmail and vm
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 18:29:50 +0100

"Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu>
writes:

>> Switched ISP's a while back, requires SMTP AUTH, I had been using
>> other mail clients, they no problem w/SMTP AUTH.
>
> Could anybody give me the skinny about "why would an ISP require SMTP AUTH" ?

Isn't the answer the same as why authentication is required it all, in
any protocol?

If you are thinking that ISPs should use IP based ACLs to allow
relaying for their customers, it's not going to work with todays
computer habits (people travel with their laptop and expect the mail
server to continue to work).