Re: Emacs 21.2, smtpmail and vm

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Emacs 21.2, smtpmail and vm
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 20:55:16 +0100

"Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu>
writes:

> By "laptop" you mean "those things with small screens and shallow
> keyboards"?  I must admit I don't know enough of how those things work
> when you try to use the Internet away from home (or office).
> But it seems you'll need to get your IP from some ISP which is responsible
> for routing to/from your IP and which has a mail server which you should
> be able to use (like you probably use their DNS server).  And given such
> a context, it seems that IP-based authentication would be pretty safe
> for SMTP.

To use a different mail server, you have to frob the config of your
mail client.  To frob the mail client config, you have to know which
is the right mail server to use.

All this is true for, say, the DNS server, as well.  But in that
case, DHCP can tell you about it, or the M$ extension to PPP.  But
there is no protocol in widespread use that would tell you which SMTP
server to use.

Isn't it much more convenient to send those SMTP packets round the
world a couple of times and thus to avoid changing your MUA config?
--
Ambibibentists unite!