Version Control -- CVS log problem on WinXP

From: Edwin Stearns
Subject: Version Control -- CVS log problem on WinXP
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:48:59 -0500

I really like to use the Version Control commands on my CVS files, but I have run into a problem with logs.

After I commit a file using C-x C-q and add an entry to the log, emacs will identify the file as an unix file the next time I open it. There are ^M at the end of every line. After investigating a little, I found that on the most recent log there were two ^M at the end of the first line of a multiple line log entry. It looked something like this:

**   Revision 1.6  2003/01/27 17:44:50  edwin^M
**   Blah blah Blah^M^M
**   Blah blah blah^M
**^M

When I removed the last ^M from the line, saved the file and reopened it, emacs displayed it correctly.

How can I make sure that emacs doesn't insert this extra control character when I do commits?

I am using emacs version 21.2.1 on WinXP

Edwin Stearns