Re: deskheight.el v0.3

From: Bruce Ingalls
Subject: Re: deskheight.el v0.3
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:52:09 GMT

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
Bruce Ingalls wrote:

;;Not sure why interactive mode does not return a value, while compiled mode does.

Do you mean batch mode?
er, yes. I took this notation from another author (of which.el?), and assumed that the standard Emacs parlance was "interactive mode" for M-x, and "compiled mode"
for C-x e

If the LINES environment variable is defined, then surely Emacs can access
its value via getenv.
On my standard RH 8 Linux box, LINES is defined in all my shells, but is not
inherited into the `process-environment' variable.

A tty may be an terminal window running under a window system, and may be
able to change in size.
In this case, `window-system' is nil, and my results in modifying variations of default-frame-plist or initial-frame-alist were either no effect, or disaster. Emacs or
XEmacs can modify itself, but not the parent xterm nor rxvt that it runs in.

Thanks for the critique on the comments, these are being fixed.

The last issue I need to resolve, is if kicker or gnome-panel is running on the top or bottom, or on one of the sides. I reckon that the answer can be found by grepping
the configuration files in your home directory, but
1) this assumes grep is in your path
2) I am too lazy for this release.