Re: backspace key binding!!

From: gebser
Subject: Re: backspace key binding!!
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 18:24:03 -0500 (EST)

This should be a FAQ or in a readme or something.  Anyway, it's a common
question.  Anyway....

Put the lines below into your ~/.emacs file and restart emacs:

;; Translate `C-h' to <DEL>.
(keyboard-translate ?\C-h ?\C-?)
;; Translate <DEL> to `C-h'.
(keyboard-translate ?\C-? ?\C-h)

Happy Chinese New Year,
Enjoy,
ken

Stevens, Brigham at 10:40 (UTC-0800) on Thu, 30 Jan 2003 said:

=
= I just got a new linux server running.... It has emacs and I use it
= under ssh..
=
= I don't know the emacs version, but this is probably an easy generic
= question....
=
= The backspace key is bound to some awful help command, and it won't
= backup and delete characters like it is supposed to!! It is really bad
= because when I hit backspace the screen splits and this page comes up,
= and it totally ruins whatever I was typing...
=
= I do not have a special .emacs or anything, I am only running the emacs
= defaults.
=
= ALSO, I want the DELETE key to be bound to forward delete char...
=
= ALSO, I would like to configure my root account to use all the settings
= from a user account - is there any way to do this? I guess that is more
= of a unix/linux question...
=
= Thanks for any help!
=