How make auto-fill-mode NEVER allow text past 80 columns?? (So no loopho

From: Christian Seberino
Subject: How make auto-fill-mode NEVER allow text past 80 columns?? (So no loopholes?......)
Date: 3 Feb 2003 11:49:01 -0800

auto-fill-mode is great because *sometimes* it reformats text
adding hard returns to avoid text going past a certain column....

But it is possible to bypass this "brick wall".  For example,
if I add text in the middle of a line, it won't activate the
reformatting code of auto-fill unless I go to the right end
and add a space at end.

How close these loopholes so text NEVER goes past a certain
column like column #80???

Thanks,

Chris