Re: Loading local .emacs from remote machine

From: gebser
Subject: Re: Loading local .emacs from remote machine
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 11:35:08 -0500

I've heard about tramp and would like to try it.  I'm using emacs
v.20.7.1 and "C-h a tramp" says no matches for 'tramp'.  I searched
Redhat's site for an RPM and find none. (I've done a few tgz installs in
the past.  These of course don't get registered in the rpm database and
this sometimes comes back to bite me.)  But what the heck.  I download
the 2002-02-17 (most recent stable) version from sourceforge and examine
it for install instructions.  None there, though there's makefiles.
They're not particularly revelatory to me, so I do another search and
find <http://www.nongnu.org/tramp/>.

There I find and get tramp-2.0.28.tar.gz (dated 23-Dec-2002), untar it
into /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp, creating the files in a subdir of
site-lisp called tramp-2.0.28.  Then I go to
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/tramp-2.0.28/ and run "make EMACS=emacs all"
to create the *.elc files.  From this I get some error messages at the
end like:

test -d ../info || mkdir ../info
makeinfo --footnote-style=end --no-split -o ../info/tramp tramp.texi
tramp.texi:66: Unknown command `copying'.
tramp.texi:88: Unmatched `@end'.
tramp.texi:143: Unknown command `insertcopying'.
makeinfo: Removing output file `../info/tramp' due to errors; use
--force to preserve.
make[1]: *** [tramp] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/tramp-2.0.28/texi'
make: *** [all] Error 2

When I open the directory
"/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/tramp-2.0.28/texi", put the cursor on
tramp.texi, and press "L", I get "Failed to load 1 of 1 file-- type ?
for details ((tramp.texi)).

Subsequently doing "M-x makeinfo-buffer" yeilds "[No match]".

But moving along...

I add:

(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/tramp/lisp/")
(require 'tramp)

to my .emacs, create a symlink from tramp-2.0.28 to tramp, and do "C-x
C-e" at the ends of the above two lines.  Fine.

Then I skip the next part about using the install-info command to add
the directory to the search path for Info (since the info file wasn't
created).  And that's about all there is to the install section of
<http://www.nongnu.org/tramp/>.

Then I skip the configuration section and just down to "Using tramp"
just to test it out.  Doing "C-x C-f Return /userid@1.2.3.4:/etc/foo"
prompts me for the password (which I successfully enter), but then hangs
for minutes (seemingly permanently) with "tramp: 'Setting shell prompt"
in the minibuffer.  Hmmm....

I've ssh'd and scp'd to and from this site before many times, so that's
not the deal.  The prompt on the remote system is of the form
"userid@hostname:/path/to/file # " and maybe this has tramp baffled.
Doing C-g finally gets me control of emacs again.

So then to help tramp recognize the shell prompt, I add this to-- and
try a few variations of it in-- ".emacs":

(add-to-list 'tramp-shell-prompt-pattern

(all on one line).  None have worked; trying to load it I get "Wrong
type argument: listp ..."

I have to say, Kai, I loved using your ange-ftp, and eventually hope to
use tramp some day.  Maybe today isn't the day.

But, thanks,
ken