LaTeX-Fill-Paragraph and inline images

From: Felix E. Klee
Subject: LaTeX-Fill-Paragraph and inline images
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 16:43:24 +0100

Hi,

I'm using preview-latex mode together with AUC TeX mode when editing
LaTeX documents. preview-latex can compile certain parts (eg.
equations) of LaTeX documents and replace them by inline images. This,
however, causes LaTeX-Fill-Paragraph to misbehave since it still breaks
lines according to the source code.

Take for example the following code:
  Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla $\hat{\tilde{\ddot{x}}}$
  bla bla.
After applying preview-LaTeX everything could fit on one line:
  Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla [IMG] bla bla.
But LaTeX-Fill-Paragraph would still break it as follows, because it
doesn't know about the image:
  Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla [IMG]
  bla bla.

Therefore, I'm looking for a LaTeX-Fill-Paragraph replacement that
breaks lines correctly when inline images are used. Instead of
specifying a fill column the user would specify the desired width of
paragraphs in pixels or centimeters. This might also be interesting
when using variable width fonts instead of fixed width fonts.

Does such a function exist? Is it feasible?

Felix