Re: Is this a bug in cperl mode

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Is this a bug in cperl mode
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:50:14 GMT

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Harry Putnam <hgp@sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
>> I get several kinds of goofy behavior from cperl mode on this snippet
>> of code.  The syntax hylight breaks down on last section too.  Makes
>> cperl pretty useless for what its designed for. Maybe its local guff
>> causing it but starting emacs -q -no-site-file doesn't seem to help.
>
> I could reproduce this with the cperl that comes with Emacs, but the
> cperl from Ilya (I have 4.32, it seems) works.
>
> How about you check that and submit a bug report, suggesting to
> upgrade the cperl in Emacs.  (It seems that the cperl in Emacs is
> quite old.)

I'm running a recent cvs of emacs (GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 )

checking C-h v cperl-version <RET> shows:
  cperl-version's value is "4.32"
  Version of IZ-supported CPerl package this file is based on.
  Defined in `cperl-mode'.

Must be more than one version of 4.32 :)
With the posted code in a cperl-mode buffer and running
C-x h
C-M \

I get:
  forward-sexp: Scan error: "Unbalanced parentheses", 169, 212
Switching to plain perl-mode and running the same commands produces
error/warnings.

Daniel writes:
> such single occurences of 's' they're a nightmare in both variants.

Seems like regular perl-mode deals with that.  At least in this case.
Can code be stolen or example drawn from it?

Oh and can some thing be set so that
  if(some_test){
    some_action
  }

Isn't expanded into:
  if (some_test) {
    some_action
  }

Or is the lack of space between `if and (', `) and {' part of the same
problem?