Re: Is this a bug in cperl mode

From: Daniel Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: Is this a bug in cperl mode
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 22:07:56 +0100

Harry Putnam <hgp@sbcglobal.net> skribis:
> Harry Putnam <hgp@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> > Must be more than one version of 4.32 :)
> > With the posted code in a cperl-mode buffer and running

> Yup.  Diffing the cperl-mode from emacs distro which claims to be
> 4.32 agaist the 4.32 found on Ilya's page shows major diff.  And the
> one from Ilya's page doesn't have a problem with the posted code just
> like Kai said.

The version by Ilya has hairy turned on by default, which is something RMS
refuses.  Must be something in there that works better for this code.  I use
the GNU variant with hairy, and other than $opt_s I had no problem with the
posted code.

> So whats up with the versioning?  Is it normal for there to be
> numerous versions of a 4.32 version number?

I'm currently looking at a few fixes for this, and I'm upping the version to
4.33 and copyright 2003 to end this confusion.  The thing is that emacs
modules don't usually have their own versions (just belong to emacs 21.2 or
whatever).  So they don't update this variable, but when you look at CVS,
they've been doing quite a lot.  While Ilya seems to have abandoned this...

> And Daniel,  Are there other problems with the 4.32 from Ilya's page
> that are not present with the 4.32 in the distro?

While manually scanning through the diff, I noticed a few fixes, including
one (failing M-x man) I had stumbled across myself in Ilya's.  From looking
through things there seems to remain a lot of work...

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

-- GPL 3: take the wind out of Palladium's sails! --
 ------
  -- My other stuff here too, sawfish, make.pl...: --
   ------
    -- http://dapfy.bei.t-online.de/ --