Re: Debian: Avoid install-info errors on "make install"?

From: Bijan Soleymani
Subject: Re: Debian: Avoid install-info errors on "make install"?
Date: 13 Feb 2003 17:02:04 -0500

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Debian has its own install-info.  It writes the right dir entries, it
> seems, but it /additionally/ references /var/backups.
>
> The Debian folk say that their install-info does exactly what Debian
> needs.  But I'm afraid it doesn't do what I need.  I'd be happy about
> a regular install-info as distributed with GNU Texinfo.  But that
> will never happen (I mean they never will distribute it), I'm afraid.

I still don't understand the big conflict between the two versions of
install-info. Why won't Debian ever distribute it? What's wrong with
the version that comes with texinfo.

In any case if you want the behaviour of the other install-info why
not just use that during the installation procedure.

Bijan