Re: How useful to run GDB and CVS from *WITHIN* Emacs? How helps?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: How useful to run GDB and CVS from *WITHIN* Emacs? How helps?
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 18:05:01 +0100

gebser@ameritech.net writes:

> Kai Großjohann at 13:47 (UTC+0100) on Fri, 14 Feb 2003 said:
>
> = What does Tramp have to do with PCL-CVS or GUD mode?
>
> As an example of using emacs' cvs functionality to get a fresh version
> and then the diffs.  I thought that was apparent from the context of my
> email.

Ah, I see.  To use PCL-CVS successfully you first need to create a
working directory outside of Emacs (or from M-x shell RET or M-x
eshell RET if you like).  Just follow the instructions on the Tramp
website.

After this, M-x cvs-update RET will fetch diffs between what you have
on disk and what's on the server.  You can also do M-x cvs-status RET
instead of M-x cvs-update RET -- then you get a PCL-CVS buffer
showing the current state of affairs.

In any case, from the PCL-CVS buffer you can access all the nifty
functions such as getting diffs (to understand what changed between
version 1.42 and 2.3 of a certain file, say) or checking in changes.
--
A turnip curses Elvis