Re: eshell: Support old-style completion and cycling completion?

From: Galen Boyer
Subject: Re: eshell: Support old-style completion and cycling completion?
Date: 17 Feb 2003 09:09:20 -0600

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de wrote:
> Galen Boyer <galenboyer@hotpop.com> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de wrote:
>>
>>> Hm.  Thinking some more, it's possible that a behavior that I would
>>> like is this:
>>>
>>> If there is a common prefix for all completions, insert that.  If
>>> there is more than one possible completion, beep.  After the next
>>> TAB, show all possible completions.  After the next TAB, complete to
>>> the first completion.  So it's a kind of a hybrid between old-style
>>> and cycling style.
>>
>> The tab following the first completion buffer scrolls that completion
>> buffer.  How should the user retain that functionality?
>
> Good point.  I hadn't thought about that.  Well, C-M-v can be used
> for scrolling.  Or TAB scrolls until it arrives at the end and then
> starts cycling.  Probably depends on taste.

Maybe it could be sensitive to the speed of tab'n?  2 tabs in succession
with very little pause between those tabs moves the user into cycling?
One could probably assume slower tab'n would mean user making judgements
and therefore using the completion buffer?

One other puzzling thing for me was the beep if there is more than one
completion?  Is this beep to signify to the user that they should make a
determination of cycling vs normal completion buffer?  Why not just
straight to the completion buffer and have some way to engage cycling
from there?  (fast tab'n is the idea that came to mind, but I'm sure
there are better ways)

--
Galen deForest Boyer