Re: eshell: Support old-style completion and cycling completion?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: eshell: Support old-style completion and cycling completion?
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 16:34:16 +0100

Galen Boyer <galenboyer@hotpop.com> writes:

> Maybe it could be sensitive to the speed of tab'n?  2 tabs in succession
> with very little pause between those tabs moves the user into cycling?
> One could probably assume slower tab'n would mean user making judgements
> and therefore using the completion buffer?

That's a possibility.  I don't like speed sensitivity that much, but
oh, well.  I think I could get used to it.

> One other puzzling thing for me was the beep if there is more than one
> completion?  Is this beep to signify to the user that they should make a
> determination of cycling vs normal completion buffer?  Why not just
> straight to the completion buffer and have some way to engage cycling
> from there?  (fast tab'n is the idea that came to mind, but I'm sure
> there are better ways)

I wanted the number of TAB to be predictable to effect a certain
result.  So the user can type a prefix, then hit TAB three times, to
obtain the first possible completion.  When skipping the beep, some
prefixes would require two, others three, TABs.

--
A turnip curses Elvis