Re: Customize enforcing data relationships?

From: Galen Boyer
Subject: Re: Customize enforcing data relationships?
Date: 18 Feb 2003 20:10:29 -0600

On 17 Feb 2003, monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu wrote:
>>> So I don't think the dependency should be specified as part of the
>>> `defcustom' but as part of the value instead.
>> Can somebody give me the skinny on what you're talking about?  I hear
>> your words, but the meaning escapes me :-/  What kind of dependency
>
> If you custom-set A to (bar b) then you'd better make sure that
> custom sets B before setting A otherwise you might not get the
> result you want.  I.e. in such a case B depends on A.

I was talking more about, if you set variable B, then you will need to
set variable A.

Or, you should set these variables in this particular order.

It would be a way for customize to mimic those interactive installing
programs.  Let the author define the dependency (how bout requirements
as the term?) and customize could continue to take care of the setup
interface.

It would also be a way to get some of the nice windowy setup dialogs
where they make it difficult for one to muck up their environment.  If a
certain dialog box is clicked off, a whole particular section of
variables gets grayed out.

--
Galen deForest Boyer