Finding C style comments using isearch-forward-regexp

From: Timur Aydin
Subject: Finding C style comments using isearch-forward-regexp
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:40:48 +0200

Hi,

I am struggling to find C style comments using the
isearch-forward-regexp function (C-M-s). Here is the regexp that I am
using:

/\*\(.\|^J\)*\*/

Basically, I am telling emacs to first find the opening comment "/*",
then any number of any character or newline and then the closing
comment "*/".

However, immediately after typing the * after the closing parenthesis,
emacs tells me:

[(error stack overflow in regexp matcher)]

I have found a simpler regexp that causes this error. This regexp is
part of the one specified above and finds any character or newline any
number of times:

Even though this is not a trivial regexp, it is fairly basic and I
cannot come up with an alternate syntax to achieve the same
effect. Please help...

--
Timur Aydin