Re: How to configure Emacs to autoload modes?

From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: How to configure Emacs to autoload modes?
Date: 21 Feb 2003 18:48:11 -0500

> Ah, yes.  The old "chicken and egg" problem with Emacs configuration.

Note that I think both of those files should only contain a strict minimum.
I basically use site-start.el and put things into it that are just necessary
to setup the extra packages I have installed.  The user gets basically
the same as if the package had been bundled with Emacs, i.e. if she has
problems with it, those problems are hers and could just as well appear
(without my interfering) if the package got included in the next version
of Emacs.

Setting up auto-mode-alist and autoloads is definitely part of
this "minimum setup".

        Stefan