Re: Emacs minimised

From: Jesper Harder
Subject: Re: Emacs minimised
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 03:52:05 +0100

Lee Sau Dan <danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> writes:

> Info is good, if  I want to study the program for  15 minutes or more.
> But for quick lookups, man  pages are still much better.

I don't quite agree.  Info pages have a real, interactive index [1] --
this is really the killer feature that nearly all other documentation
systems lack.

`i <term>' usually takes me to correct spot instantly -- it's much
faster and more convenient than scrolling through huge man-pages.

If `i' fails, then there's the regexp search `s', a feature also missing
in many other formats.

[1] Not a fake, auto-generated one like Microsoft Windows help, or _no_
index at all like man-pages, or HTML documentation.