Re: Regexp search hangs Emacs

From: Tim Morley (remove vegetable for email address)
Subject: Re: Regexp search hangs Emacs
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:36:15 +0100

<tim@teamlog.turnip.com> (TM) wrote:

> TM> Doing a regexp I-search for `;\(.*,\)*-I,' in a buffer containing the
line

ALTA:FU,KOM,MUZ;-O,FIZ,MAT,-AJXO,BIB,-ECO,GEO,AS,-IGI,-IGXI,-IGILO,MIL,-OMET

RO,FIZ,-OMETRIO,MAL-A,FU,MUZ,MAL-O,MAL-AJXO,Z,MAL-IGI,Z,MAL-IGXI,PLEJ-A,MA,D

> TM> IKMAL-A.

> TM> seems to cause Emacs to hang.

> TM> <snip>

> Your regexp is sub-optimal and I think you didn't wait long enough.

> Try it on a buffer with only that line and just wait a couple of minutes

> and you will probably get the `Failing regexp I-search'. At least it did

> with me.

> <snip>

> --

> Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>

> Private email: P.van.Oostrum@hccnet.nl

You're exactly right of course; I got distracted by the fact that there
could be any number of arguments separated by commas in my text, but of
course a whole list of arguments separated by commas is still just a long
string that ends in a comma. D'oh!

Thanks for the help.

Tim