Re: menu-bar-update-hook performance problems

From: Dan Debertin
Subject: Re: menu-bar-update-hook performance problems
Date: 03 Mar 2003 16:23:09 -0600

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Hm.  OTOH, whether this simple approach works for
> menu-bar-update-hook, of all places, I'm not so sure.  Invoking the
> debugger changes the menu bar...

So you see my dilemma :). Updating the mode-line also calls
menu-bar-update-hook, so anything that touches the mode-line is also
off-limits.

My next trick was to add this to the head of menu-bar-update-hook:

(lambda ()
   (save-excursion
     (set-buffer (get-buffer-create "*temp-trace*"))
       (insert (prin1-to-string (backtrace))))))

But, sadly, the backtraces I get out of it (and boy, do I ever get
backtraces) stop at 'run-hooks'. Perhaps I will advise run-hooks.

Dan
--
/^Dan Debertin$/         |
airboss@nodewarrior.org  |