Re: nntp open error: ''?

From: John J Lee
Subject: Re: nntp open error: ''?
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 12:17:59 +0000

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, Marco Parrone wrote:
[...]
> John J Lee <jjl@pobox.com> writes:
[...]
> I've tried your code with another server and it works.

Hmm, yes works for me too with your server.

So why does pine work fine with my server, and gnus not (debian package
21.2-2)?  I'm pretty sure I've successfully used that server with gnus
before, on emacs 21.1 on Windows NT.

> I've tried with your server, but it does not work:
>
>   Unable to contact server news.freeserve.net: Server closed connection

That's no surprise: you need to be a dialup customer of freeserve to
connect to it (in fact, you probably need to be actually connected via
freeserve dialup to use it).  As I say, it works at least enough for pine
to connect to it.

Thanks for your help

John