color codes in eshell

From: Alexander Nikolov
Subject: color codes in eshell
Date: 10 Mar 2003 20:00:12 +0000

I am very enthusiastic about using a shell from inside emacs but I
find eshell has some frustrating weaknesses. First, the documentation
is far from complete. Second, I have this problem with color codes:
When I log in as a normal user everything is displayed
correctly. However, when I am root color codes are displayed as numbers
and letters in between the useful text. There is no shell history in
root mode, either. I hope this can be fixed with some lisp code but
sadly I have very limited knowledge of the language and the
implementation in emacs.
Suggestions?

I am using Mandrake 9.0