Re: cua mode under OS X

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: cua mode under OS X
Date: 11 Mar 2003 14:19:40 +0100

ngse@yahoo.com (S. Eng) writes:

> Now on my powerbook, I use GNU 21.3.5.6 (powerpc-darwin-6.2). The
> cua.el seems to interfere with the keys because I cannot load a file
> with 'C-x-C-f'. If I do not load the cua.el and instead turn on the
> cua mode in the Options menu, I can't mark columns anymore. Has
> someone else encountered this problem and is there a fix?

With the CVS emacs (21.3.50.x) do not -- and I repeat -- do not
load or use any other version of CUA-mode than the one that comes
with CVS emacs.

So remove the (require 'cua) from your .emacs and see if things
improve.

The reason is that the emacs feature which the old version of CUA-mode
relied on to overload the C-x and C-c prefix keys has changed in
subtle ways in CVS emacs, so old CUA-mode packages no longer work
correctly with CVS emacs.

The version of CUA which is now in CVS emacs is a major rework of the
original package, and it uses features which are unique to CVS emacs,
so in fact, the new CUA will not work with any of the released
versions of emacs.

Is your version of CVS emacs up-to-date (including a new make
bootstrap)?  It is actually supposed to detect if you load an older
CUA package and make a lot of noise about it...?

--
Kim F. Storm  http://www.cua.dk