Not processing my .emacs file?

From: Roy Smith
Subject: Not processing my .emacs file?
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:24:41 -0500

I'm working with XEmacs 20.4 on a Solaris box.  As far as I can tell,
it's not reading my .emacs file.  None of the customizations I have in
there seem to be taking effect.  I put in '(message "hello")', which it
ignored.  I even put in some deliberate syntax errors, to no effect.

What might be keeping it from reading my .emacs file?