Re: Unable to use TAGS in xemacs

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Unable to use TAGS in xemacs
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 17:14:39 +0900

    Ganesan> Thanks for your response. I downloaded the C-code from
    Ganesan> the web for etags and used it. Is it different from the
    Ganesan> emacs supplied one?

There are perhaps four sources for etags: Exuberant ctags (I'm not
absolutely sure they provide etags, but ISTR they do), Francisco
Portorti's "canonical" Emacs etags, GNU Emacs (which tracks Portorti's
version very closely), and XEmacs (which is synched to Portorti's
version regularly, perhaps every 3 months or so).  The last three are
99% interoperable, Exuberant ctags is a quite different file format.

If you built XEmacs from source, the current version used by XEmacs
will be built in lib-src/etags.

    Ganesan> I also saw some etags.el in the web. Is it different ?
    Ganesan> How do I find out which is the correct one?

The GNU Emacs and XEmacs etags.el are somewhat different from each
other.  These are not a substitute for the etags program.  etags
creates the TAGS file, etags.el interprets it and implements the
tag-finding operations for Emacs.

Use the etags.el supplied by your version of XEmacs unless you really
know what you're doing.  There are a lot of variants out there, and
mostly they should all work, but the documentation will be most
intelligible if you use XEmacs's version.