XP + message-mode + smtpmail = hang

From: Arun Sharma
Subject: XP + message-mode + smtpmail = hang
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 17:59:19 GMT

When I try to reply by email to a news/mail message via gnus on
windows XP, emacs freezes my desktop and the network goes dead.

I have to disable/enable the network interface to get things
working. However, simple email messages using mail-mode work just
fine using the same smtp server.

M-x emacs-version
GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.1.2600) of 2002-03-19 on buffy

When I enable debug and watch the smtp protocol messages, the hang
happens just after the "data"  has been entered and ended with a "."
on a line by itself.

Has anyone seen this before ? Any suggestions on what I could try ?

        -Arun