Re: Docbook Mode?

From: Paul Kinnucan
Subject: Re: Docbook Mode?
Date: 17 Mar 2003 15:28:09 -0500

chrisl_ak@hotmail.com (Chris) writes:

> "J. David Boyd" <dave@tsc-corp.com> wrote in message
> > This was just mentioned in the last day or two.
> >
> > Go to
> >
> > http://xae.sunsite.dk/
> >
> > for a full featured docbook download for emacs.
>
> As far as I can tell, XAE is a full emacs installation that uses
> PSGML. I'm not sure how this would interact with my existing
> installation or that I need to download all that to get to the same
> point I am now :) Although it looks like xae adds some goodies to make
> the compilation process take less keystrokes, it doesn't appear to add
> anything to the editing mode or features for the editing process.
> Which is great except that I already have Emacs and PSGML with docbook
> DTDs up and running.
>
> Has anyone actually used this and can tell us more about the
> experience and what it adds?

It adds two things:

1) It packages all the files needed to do Docbook-based XML authoring in Emacs
   as a single distributable. Previously, setting up an XML authoring
environment
   entailed going around to various sites to get the components, installing
them,
   and integrating them. This is not a trivial task in my experience.

2) A set of Java-based commands that apply style sheets to documents. This
includes
   a command that applies the xml-to-html stylesheet for Docbook to the xml
   file in the current buffer and then displays the result in your system's
   default HTML browser. This allows you to display a formatted view of your
   document with a single command.

- Paul