Re: New Emacs with GTK!

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: New Emacs with GTK!
Date: 20 Mar 2003 14:57:04 +0900

kgold@watson.ibm.com (kgold) writes:
> I'm wondering - I use NTEmacs, presumably using the MFC GUI classes,
> emacs on Linux using Lesstif, and emacs on AIX using Motif.
>
> As a user (not an emacs developer), why should I carer about gtk2?

Depends on what's important to you...

I like the GTK emacs simply because it (1) matches the look of other apps
that use GTK (which is, at least in my case, many), and (2) looks much,
much, much, slicker than the clunky-ass *tif (this of course, depends to
some degree on your choosing a slick-looking GTK theme, though you get
anti-aliased menus and a nicer-looking toolbar regardless :-).

Some other less personal reasons might include a better long term viability
for GTK; I expect that once the GTK version hits prime-time, it will get a
lot more maintenance attention than the other versions.

-Miles
--
Next to fried food, the South has suffered most from oratory.
                        -- Walter Hines Page