Non-character input events

From: Joe Fineman
Subject: Non-character input events
Date: 20 Mar 2003 18:21:13 -0500

When a routine I have written is expecting a character & instead sees
(e.g.) one of the function keys on the keyboard, it complains that it
has seen a non-character input event.  Presumably, therefore, Emacs
has some way of recognizing such events.  Where is the documentation
for that?  "Apropos" yields nothing, and info merely admits that they
exist.  I know how to bind commands to those keys, but only thru
chitchat in newsgroups (monkey see, monkey do).  What do I do if I am
writing Elisp code and want it to do something other than beep when it
encounters an f1?
--
---  Joe Fineman    jcf@TheWorld.com

||:  Majority rule is not a way of getting right answers; it is a  :||
||:  way of avoiding civil war.                                    :||