Re: Unable to Set Tab Width

From: Erik Simon
Subject: Re: Unable to Set Tab Width
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:20:02 +0100

Hi,

On 21 Mar 2003, matrix2468REMOVETHISTOREPLY@cox.net wrote:
>(setq default-tab-width 2)
>
>I thought the above command would set the tab width to 2,
>but it is stuck at 4!

See the help for default-tab-width, it's for buffers that don't
override it.

>It's driving me nuts while editing perl or java.

Tabs are controlled in java-mode by c-basic-offset (as in C)
Have a look at c-indent-command (C-h f c-indent-command).

In perl-mode, it's controlled by perl-indent-level if I remember
well. I actually never changed those myself, maybe it messes up with
the indent style, dunno...

>I thought emacs was configurable... no?

It is :-)

Good luck