RE: shell mode, changing directory

From: Bingham, Jay
Subject: RE: shell mode, changing directory
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:40:58 -0600

On Friday, March 21, 2003 12:23 PM Alan Shutko wrote:

>Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:
>
>> Can anyone tell me how to force a *shell* buffer to change it's
>> current working directory? Effectively I want to fake typing "cd
>> blah", but I can't see a good way to do this.
>
>Send "cd blah" to the process... that's the only way.  You can't
>change a process's working directory from outside.
>
>comint-send-string might help.

There is something that is missing from this discussion.  Phillip and I
had a brief offline conversation about what he is trying to do, I
suggested that he repost the message that he sent directly to me, but
for some reason he has not done that.

Here is what he sent to me:

>I want to change the directory progammatically. The reason is that I
use
>several directories repeatedly, and navigating between them takes ages.
>want to store them in a list that I can access easily and then have the
>shell buffer move to that directory.
>
>Specifically I want to write two commands. The first is "move CWD of
shell
>to the same as the file of the current buffer" (currently you can
achieve
>this, by killing the *shell* buffer, and typing M-x shell). And
secondly I
>want to be able to use the ECB's
>(ecb.sourceforge.net) directory window, to move shells CWD.
>
>Having "cd blah" turn up at the command prompt within the *shell*
buffer
>would be perfectly acceptable to me, and even useful, as it would leave
the
>user with feedback.

I hope that this helps clarify his needs.

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Quality
Assurance
.    Austin, TX
. "Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
.  Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire."     -Dr. George W.
Crane-