Re: DOS-style filename in emacs 21.1 mode-line

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: DOS-style filename in emacs 21.1 mode-line
Date: 24 Mar 2003 14:05:07 +0100

Hi John,

jpwoodruff@irisinternet.net (John Woodruff) writes:
> On one occasion only -- when I drag & drop a file onto the Icon of a
> not-started emacs -- the file name is written in the mode-line in
> the old DOS notation of all-caps with 8 chars.
> [...]
> I am running the manufactured emacs from emacs-21.1-fullbin-i386 on
> windows 98.

file-truename does convert from short names to long names, but
plugging it into Emacs in the right place is a problem.  Reading the
source, there doesn't seem a convinient hook.  I'd suggest patching
the appropriate routine by adding this to your ~/.emacs:

 (defadvice command-line-normalize-file-name
   (before benny-command-line-normalize-file-name (file) activate)
   (setq file (file-truename file)))

This works with 21.2.1 and Win95, I hope it works with 21.1, too.

Hope this helps, benny