Re: Using custom as a type checker:- ramble

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Using custom as a type checker:- ramble
Date: 26 Mar 2003 11:17:31 -0500

> Now what I would want to do is combine the two. So have something like
> (custom-setq compilation-window-height)
> Where custom-setq would use the custom mechanism to set a variable. If
> it was of the wrong type (so would display "mismatch" in the dialog),
> then at this point an error would be signalled. This way I would have
> most of the advantages of both systems. I could do conditional logic,
> I could comment, I could grep, and so on. But I would also get good
> "type safety."

What I would much rather have is a way to load a normal .emacs
and automatically have all the `setq's checked as above.  The
checking could also include obsolescence and things like that.

I.e. I don't want to change the .emacs code at all, but I'd like
to have a more-or-less generic way to add helpful analysis
of the code so as to give useful information to the user about
suspicious customizations.

        Stefan