Re: what happened to fringe customization?

From: Thomas A. Horsley
Subject: Re: what happened to fringe customization?
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 14:21:21 GMT

>>> about half of my .emacs file is now dedicated to the ruthless
>>> eradication of all the unicode and encoding crap :-].
>
>Since you care enough to tell us about it, why not tell us what
>problems this was trying to address ?

Because all the work I do is with good old stick in the mud 7-bit ascii
files. If random bits of unicode have crept into my files I want to know
about it, and I will if I see lots of octal escapes on the screen (but I
won't if emacs helpfully renders the characters correctly for some
definition of correct :-). For that matter all the files I work with are
Unix format, so if DOS line endings have crept in, I want to know about that
as well by seeing the $#@! ^M characters instead of having them go invisible
on me.

Despite my best attempts to eradicate all this stuff I still haven't yet
figured out how to convince gnus to stop asking me what encoding to use
when I try to forward some random unicode spam messages. Somehow there
has to be a way to tell it: "Look you - you know that stream of bytes
you got from the POP server - that's the data I want to forward - why
should you care what the encoding is? (You didn't when you sucked it off
the server)".
--
      email: Tom.Horsley@worldnet.att.net icbm: Delray Beach, FL      |
<URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley> Free Software and Politics <<==+