Re: Couple questions

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Couple questions
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 12:18:38 -0700

Harter, Douglas wrote:

1. My usr/local/share/emacs has 2 site-lisp directories one under emacs and
one under emacs/21.1. The majority of the files are under
usr/local/share/emacs/21.1. Does it matter which I put site stuff under?
(one, either, both)

Only if you intend to have more than 1 version of Emacs installed, or eventually
upgrade to a newer version.  The site-lisp directory will be used by all
versions, but the 21.1/site-lisp directory will only be used by your current
version (so if you upgrade, you'll have to move all those files).

I recommend using the site-lisp directory for almost everything.  The only
things I put in the M.m/site-lisp directory are version-specific bug fixes.

2. By setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local, will emacs be able to find all the
emacs files it needs?

That depends on what platform are you using and how Emacs was configured when it
was built.

On Solaris, this will tell you whether that will work:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local ldd /usr/local/bin/emacs