Re: death to tabs

From: chris.danx
Subject: Re: death to tabs
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 01:17:05 +0100

John Russell wrote:
Ok, seriously, I don't ever want to see another tab as long as I
live.  I want _every__ tab I ever wrote converted to spaces right
now and I never want to have a tab show up when I hit the TAB key
again.

Amen to that! Working on files at home then at uni or vice versa screws up the tabs all the time! Our lecturers code drives me mad! Some of their code is indented 2 spaces while others use non standard tab offsets with multiple tabs and when we add new code it goes all wonky because of tabs :(

What I'd like is for emacs to create new files without tabs and detect if a file uses tabs & guess the right offset to preserve others preference or retabify everything to make it neat (and have tabs only for makefiles). Failing that I am prepared to damn them all and use Sebatien Routers code! :)

Anyone help with this?
Danx