Re: Problem installing ispell

From: Ryan Yeske
Subject: Re: Problem installing ispell
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 04:20:35 GMT

Alan Stein <a.stein@snet.net> writes:

> I just got a new computer and tried installing ispell; I'd had it
> working on my old computer but don't remember how I installed it.
>
> I got the ispell.el file, put it in the /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/
> directory, opened emacs and compiled it with the byte-compile-file
> command. It seemed to compile okay, but emacs won't load it.
>
> If I use the locate-library command, I get the response
> "Library is file /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ispell.elc."
> However, if I try to load it with the load-library command, I get the
> message
> "Searching for program: no such file or directory, ispell."
>
> My setup is an iMac G4 with OSX.

Hi Alan,

You need the ispell binary.  You should be able to download and
compile the source from

ftp.gnu.org:/non-gnu/ispell

There may be a package for your OS, but I know nothing about that.

BTW, what emacs are you using?  AFAIK, ispell.el has been standard
with GNU Emacs since at least version 20.x.  You shouldn't need to
bother with installing your own copy of ispell.el in site-lisp.

Ryan