Re: auto-save-desktop?

From: Steve Wainstead
Subject: Re: auto-save-desktop?
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 14:52:06 -0400

Thomas Haselberger wrote:
Steve Wainstead <swain@ampira.com> writes:

Does anyone know of an extension (or an existing way in Emacs that I
missed) to automatically save the desktop?

take a look at desktop.el - it is in the emacs lisp directory
(at least for version 21.x)

I did, and tried (setq desktop-enable t), but if I kill the X session in a bad way Emacs does not save the desktop, only if it exits cleanly. That is, I ssh -X into the remote box, run Emacs there and display locally, and if I kill the xterm I connected with, the desktop is not saved.

It seemed to me a feature similar to auto-save-file would get around this. I can probably write the lisp for it and post it back here, but I didn't want to duplicate effort needlessly.

~swain