Re: Screwed up keyboard mappings on RedHat

From: Roy Smith
Subject: Re: Screwed up keyboard mappings on RedHat
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 12:12:05 -0400

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Grossjohann) wrote:

> Roy Smith <roy@panix.com> writes:
>
> > I'm using GNU Emacs 21.2.1 on a RedHat 8.0 box.  Neither my delete nor
> > C-H key are working right.  C-H is acting like the delete key should.
> > When I type "M-X help return c C-H", I get:
> >
> > DEL runs the command backward-delete-char-untabify
>
> Interesting.  Investigate the variable normal-erase-is-backspace and
> the function normal-erase-is-backspace-mode.  Does this help?

Hmmm.  It's currently set to "t".  It looks like that might be what I
need to play with, thanks.

In the meantime (before your response came), I had already discovered
keyboard translation tables and fixed the problem with:

(keyboard-translate ?\C-h nil)
(keyboard-translate ?\C-? nil)

in my .emacs file.  It gets me the behavior I want, even if it's not the
right way to do it.

PS -- I've been using emacs for 20 years (since the original TOPS-10
TECO version) and never even knew keyboard translation tables existed.
Is this a new development?