Best way to get a cross-reference listing...

From: brian . auld
Subject: Best way to get a cross-reference listing...
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 07:38:45 -0700

Howdy,

I've made the push the past week, and feel that I've gotten over the initial
emacs hump, and now feel comfortable sticking with it. I was coming from an
intermediate vi and vslick background.

A couple questions on things I haven't figured out how to do well.

(1) Cross-referencing
---------------------
I'm focussed on the linux kernel tree, mostly drivers. If I want to see all
cross-references to a C symbol, so far I've found that M-x grep-find works the
best. The problem is that I can't control what window the 'grep-find' results
are displayed in. I usually have multiple windows open at one time, and want to
display the result in a specific window. If I go to that window, and then enter
the M-x grep-find command, the results are displayed in another window ...
usually one that I don't want to be overwritten. I can always move buffer
contents around later, but it's a pain.

Does anyone have any suggestions on (a) how to target a window with M-x
grep-find, or an alternate way to cross-reference a code tree.

(2) etags
---------
I find if I try to etag the entire linux kernel tree using for example:

find . -name "*.[chCH]" | xargs etags -o kernel-tags

the tags never seem to be complete. What I end up doing is running something
similar to the above for a bunch of sub-trees within the kernel that are of
interest to me. Does anyone know why the above command doesn't seem to work for
the entire kernel tree? Am I using the wrong command? Is there a different way
to get a complete tags file?

Thanks,

-- Brian