Re: Best way to get a cross-reference listing...

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Best way to get a cross-reference listing...
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:25:23 +0200

> From: brian.auld@adic.com
> Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 07:38:45 -0700
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on (a) how to target a window with
> M-x grep-find, or an alternate way to cross-reference a code tree.

Download and install the GNU Id-utils package, and then use the
"M-x gid" command instead.  Not only is it _much_ faster than
grep-find, but it also knows about the syntax of C (and other
programming languages, so it will never show you false hits due
to a substring that matched.  It will also automatically search
for the symbol at point as the default, and keep the results of
each search in a separate buffer, so you could consult them again
later.

As for the problem of the window that pops up in seemingly random
places, this is actually a feature, and my advice is to get used to
it: Emacs was not designed for rigid position of its windows.
However, you could make that window pop in a different frame (see
the variables `special-display-regexps' and
`special-display-buffer-names', for more about this feature).

> I find if I try to etag the entire linux kernel tree using for example:
>
> find . -name "*.[chCH]" | xargs etags -o kernel-tags
>
> the tags never seem to be complete.

That's wrong usage: you don't need xargs.  Try this instead:

  find . -name "*.[chCH]" | etags -o kernel-tags -

(and I'd also include *.y files in the pattern, btw).