Re: Questions concerning emacs

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Questions concerning emacs
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 18:38:46 +0200

Urban Gabor <gabaux@freemail.hu> writes:

> 1. I use emacs most of the time to edit program codes in C,
> C++, perl, etc. I would like to have an intelligent template
> editing. For example I type    'for' then emacs should
> expand it to:
> ' for (  ;  ;  )
>   {
>   }'
> or like that. How can I do that (is it possible at all?) ?

Emacs comes with a manual called Autotype.  That explains some
possibilities.

C-h i d         enter manual reader (called info)
m Autotype RET  enter the right manual (called info file)

> 2. I find calendar/diary function very usefull. Is there any
> extensio, which can be used to schedule meetings and tasks?
>  For example
> 'Apr 23 2003  13-14:30 Meeting. '
> Can emacs detect collisions in the diary entries?

The diary can work together with the appointments facility.

C-h i d                 enter info
m Emacs RET             enter Emacs info file
m Appointments RET      go to appointments section

There is also todo-mode.el which also works together this
Calendar/Diary.  Look in the file for more documentation.

I don't know if it can do collision detection.  I'm afraid it might
not.

There are extensions for the diary to show you the appointments in a
somewhat more graphical way (as ascii graphics go).  I forgot the
name, though.
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)