Re: NTEmacs, CVS, PCL-CVS, Version Control and ^M?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: NTEmacs, CVS, PCL-CVS, Version Control and ^M?
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:11:18 +0300

> From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer@hotpop.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 23 Apr 2003 20:56:09 -0500
>
> What I'd like to know is if anybody has any experience with odd behavior
> from checking in and checking out code and windows/UNIX end-of-line
> characters getting inserted.

You are in for some annoying work, so get ready.  Each Windows CVS
client has its own quirks as to the end-of-line (EOL) handling.  Some
have options to do different things to the EOL characters, others
don't.  Some, like the Cygwin's one, depend on how the volume was
``mounted'' (text or binary).  The only way I know of to fight this
insanity is to find the correct procedure for each CVS client and
educate the users to use that procedure.

You will need to study each client's docs, find out what facilities
does it have, agree on the best (i.e. simplest and most reliable)
method of using those facilities, then publish a document with
instructions for each client.  If you can get your users to switch
clients (assuming there's some client that makes this issue a simple
one), then do that as well.

A complication is that some Windows editors don't cope well with files
that have Unix-style newline-only EOLS.  If you all are using Emacs,
this is not a problem, but if some of you don't, they might need to
make sure text files are converted to DOS-style CR-LF EOLs.

Another related issue is how to create Unix-style files on Windows.
For that, you can use the untranslated-filesystem feature of Emacs,
described in the manual.