Re: NTEmacs, CVS, PCL-CVS, Version Control and ^M?

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: NTEmacs, CVS, PCL-CVS, Version Control and ^M?
Date: 24 Apr 2003 08:44:56 +0100

Galen Boyer <galenboyer@hotpop.com> writes:

> We have a CVS server on a UNIX machine but, AFAIK, most of us are
> committing our work from Windows machines.  But, we also have a mix of
> people using WINCVS and cygwin CVS command-line.

I guess these people are the cause of the problem, since cygwin CVS
and WinCVS treat line-ends differently. If you use a mixture of them,
then you will get strange line ends in your files.

It is better to use the command-line CVS that comes with WinCVS if
you will be using WinCVS.

> What I'd like to know is if anybody has any experience with odd behavior
> from checking in and checking out code and windows/UNIX end-of-line
> characters getting inserted.  Its driving us a little nutty and we
> aren't quite sure how to figure out what is truly happening.  Right now
> we are removing the ^M manually (well Emacs manually anyways).

I have seen another problem, when checkins are done from Emacs, and
you have $Log: $ lines in your source file, then multi-line comments
can end up with DOS line ends even when the file being checked in has
Unix line ends. I haven't worked out if this is an Emacs problem or
WinCVS one.