Re: NTEmacs, CVS, PCL-CVS, Version Control and ^M?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: NTEmacs, CVS, PCL-CVS, Version Control and ^M?
Date: 25 Apr 2003 12:43:23 +0100

  >> From: Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk> Newsgroups:
  >> gnu.emacs.help Date: 24 Apr 2003 10:33:26 +0100
  >>
  >> If you try and use more than one client, then you are likely to
  >> get into trouble. So, for instance, using both a unix client, and
  >> a wincvs client on the same files will result in line terminator
  >> problems.

  Eli> I really don't know why did you say that.  For example, Emacs
  Eli> developers use both Unix and Windows CVS clients, and several
  Eli> varieties of the Windows ones at that, and I have yet to see
  Eli> any significant problems with the files in the repository.  In
  Eli> fact, I cannot recall even a single problem related to that;
  Eli> all source files are kept in the repository in their original
  Eli> Unix EOL format.

On the same files? I should be clear here, when I say "files" I mean
work files, not a repository file.

For instance, if you have a file space shared between windows and a
unix box. Then you check out a module using the unix CVS (the workfile
versions will then have unix terminators). And then you operate over
those files using the windows client, and check them in? The windows
client is expecting dos terminators. What will happen? Well I'm not
sure.

Like wise if you go the other way around, and check out with a windows
client, and then checkin with a unix client? I am pretty sure that the
unix client will not translate out the dos terminators, because its
not expecting them in the first place. And so you will end up with dos
terminators in the repository, at which point it all goes pear
shaped.

Now there are other problems besides this. I checked out a file from
CVS yesterday, under unix, and the resultant file had dos
terminators.

These problems can be avoided. I think the situation you are
describing is where each developer uses only one client, although this
may be a different client in each case. I agree this can work, without
problems, although it does not always.

In summary, if you operate on the same work files, with a windows, and
unix client, you are almost certain to end up with line terminator
problems. If each developer has only one client each, then you should
not have problems, although an occasional difficulty may occur.

This is my experience anyway.

Phil