Re: Per-File Auto fill mode?

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: Per-File Auto fill mode?
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 15:01:44 +0200

Karl Eichwalder <keichwa@gmx.net> writes:
[...]
> This might work but in the long run Emacs should offer proper language
> environemnts, environments like "UTF-8" or "latin-15" are sure not
> enough for most languages.  Example:

I'd prefer to have a simple buffer-local variable like
`buffer-language', together with a text property of the same name that
is meant to override the value of the variable if it is non-nil.

Packages that want to provide some sort of localization could then
query the variable or the text property.

Language environments like “German” would set the default for the
variable then, while language environments that specify a coding
system only, like “Latin-1”, won't.

> In German, Emacs must learn to accept »as properly quoted«;
> unfortunately, Emacs insists »...« does not match and wants me to turn
> it into «...».  Also matching these German „Anführungszeichen“ is a
> no-op.
[...]

The same is also true for English “quotation marks”. :-)

    Oliver
--
8 Floréal an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!