I can't save and preview, special characters

From: Petr Simon
Subject: I can't save and preview, special characters
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:27:15 +0800

HI,
I am new to emacs. I have too instalations and two problems. Both are on Debian, installed from packages. 1. When I try to save it says: Symbol's function definition is void: call-with-transparent-undo.Well in fact whatever I do gives me this, preview too. So I am learning emacs and latex, but can't see or use anything I type in. 2. on my laptop it works (saving), but I have problem with other things. First of all I don't see the same toolbar as on my other computer. When I find file, Yatex invites me, but I dont have Command Preview and Latex. When I try to select LaTex command from Yatex > Process > LaTex it says /bin/bash: line 1: platex: command not found. I have installed the ptex-bin package which should contain platex, but peoblems pertains. 3. (ok not only two problems...) I can save and then generate dvi file with latex. But I can do it only with English. I am sorry for this, maybe I can read it somewhere, but I did I wasn't really able to find something I could easily use. I need to get pdf or ps with lots of "abnormal" characters like Chinese, doubled and trippled diacritics. I set the environment to utf-8-unix and saved the file like utf-8-unix, but instead of my characters I got only little bit of mess, some of original even disappeared. Can you help me please, I under pressure of time (MA thesis) and not a very skillful hacker ;-)
Thanks a lot
Petr