Re: Differences between Elisp and Lisp

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: Differences between Elisp and Lisp
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 21:06:00 +0200

Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:
[...]
> For me the issue is more simple I think. I would Emacs to be using a
> lisp which was not specific to emacs, as it would probably stop so
> much wheel reinvention. There is too much code in emacs, that was
> written for emacs, in my own estimation.
>
> I'd just be happy to have a more powerful lisp that's all. Should it
> be CL or scheme? From my perspective, I couldn't care that much for a
> simple reason. I learnt lisp because I use emacs, rather than the
> other way around. I only known elisp in detail. Which ever one emacs
> goes with, will be the one that I learn!
[...]

Amen.

For me Elisp was the first programming language I started to use in
earnest and it is still my mother tongue.

If I had to choose between CL and Scheme, I'd prefer CL (for various
reasons; the fact that I find it easier to read CL code due to it's
similarity to Elisp not being the last one). But I won't complain if
it's Scheme. After all Emacs will provide the libraries and the
environment; so it is “Elisp-as-a-subset-of-CL vs. Escheme” rather
than “CL vs. Scheme”.

    Oliver
--
10 Floréal an 211 de la Révolution