Re: Problems Compiling Emacs on Windows

From: Bijan Soleymani
Subject: Re: Problems Compiling Emacs on Windows
Date: 02 May 2003 17:33:53 -0400

"Ulrich Dirr" <ud@art-satz.de> writes:

> I've downloaded the latest Cygwin. For comparison I also installed
> MinGW. Then I downloaded the cvs emacs repository.

I've just compilled the CVS version of emacs on windows.

The easiest way is using mingw and msys.

1) Simply install mingw in c:\mingw and install msys in c:\msys. Then
   add c:\mingw\bin and c:\msys\bin to your path.

2) Also don't forget to copy c:\mingw\mingw32-make.exe to
   c:\mingw\make.exe so that there will ba a "make" in your path.

3) Then open a "command prompt", by running cmd.exe or command
   depending on your version of windows. Go to wherever you have the
   cvs of emacs and run configure. After that type "make install
   INSTALL_DIR=c:/emacs" (replace c:/emacs with whatever directory you
   want emacs in).

4) For some reason I have to go into c:/emacs/bin and run addpm.exe
   manually (it happens automatically with other versions of emacs) to
   add the emacs icon and everything.

Hope that helps,
Bijan